Early Churches

  • Trinity Lutheran in Freeland

    Trinity Lutheran in Freeland

    Trinity Lutheran Congregation began as a Sunday School on November 2, 1952, at 9:30 am in the Seventh-Day Adventist Church at Freeland, Washington, under the direction of Pastor A.L.S. Mathre, from St. Peter’s Lutheran Church at Clinton, Washington. Pastor Mathre served both congregations. Those present were Mrs. Donald Cameron, Mrs. Rodney Goldthorpe, Mrs. Ed Johnson, Mrs. Harry Josephson, and Mrs. Ingvald Vik, and 21 children. After …

  • Lone Lake Lutheran Church / The Deer Lagoon Grange

    Lone Lake Lutheran Church / The Deer Lagoon Grange

    In 1904, Lone Lake Lutheran Church was built overlooking the lake.  It served Norwegians and other Scandinavians.  From 1909 to 1911, the Reverend E. J. Sandvig was pastor for both Lone Lake Lutheran and St Peters Lutheran Churches. Early pictures (1911) show the building’s main entrance facing the lake with a tall steeple at the front door.  At some point the building was expanded.  Four original …

  • Langley United Methodist Church

    Langley United Methodist Church

    Langley United Methodist Church will marked the 100th anniversary of its sanctuary in 2009. It’s considered to be the oldest house of worship on South Whidbey. United Methodist actually got its start before the turn of the century. About 20 members of local families began meeting about 1899, organized by “a Mr. Spooner.” In 1901, they petitioned to become part of the Methodist Church. “They were meeting …

  • St. Peter’s Lutheran Church in Clinton

    St. Peter’s Lutheran Church in Clinton

    St. Peter’s Lutheran Church was organized in 1901 in the home of Jacob Simmons.  Originally called St. Petri Norsk Evangeliske Lutherske Menighed.  The church served Norwegian and other Scandinavian people. The first pastor was Reverend Peder Isberg.  He had served as a pastor in the town Stanwood where he also worked as a carpenter.  Charter members of St Peters told how he would row a boat …

  • Trinity Lutheran Church in Freeland

    Trinity Lutheran Church in Freeland

    Trinity Lutheran Congregation began as a Sunday School on November 2, 1952, at 9:30 am in the Seventh-Day Adventist Church at Freeland, Washington, under the direction of Pastor A.L.S. Mathre, from St. Peter’s Lutheran Church at Clinton, Washington. Pastor Mathre served both congregations. Those present were Mrs. Donald Cameron, Mrs. Rodney Goldthorpe, Mrs. Ed Johnson, Mrs. Harry Josephson, and Mrs. Ingvald Vik, and 21 children. After …

  • St. Augustine’s-in-the-Woods Episcopal Church

    St. Augustine’s-in-the-Woods Episcopal Church

    In 1950, St. Augustine’s in-the-Woods was created as one of two new mission churches on Whidbey Island under the auspices of Trinity Episcopal Church in Everett, Wash., in order to bring the Episcopal Church to people on the 52-mile-long island just across Puget Sound to the west. The mission was named for St. Augustine of Canterbury, a Benedictine Monk sent by Pope Gregory the Great in …

  • The Little Brown Church (Whidbey Island Free Methodist Church)

    As South Whidbey communities began to form, the pervasive, indomitable Pacific Northwest forest continued to deter transport by road. For the longest time, travel by boat was the most practical method. As settlers fought the narrow, dusty wagon trails to get to church, it is no wonder that each Sunday morning those faithful pilgrims of the Maxwelton valley began to think of alternatives to the Methodist …