Archives

Archives for: 'glossary'

[Joseph T. Walbran. British Columbia Coast Names. 1595-1906. Ottawa: Government Printing Bureau, 1909., p. 527-529. Whidbey island, Puget sound, U. S. territory, state of Washington. Named by Vancouver, in 1792, after his indefatigable and careful officer, Joseph Whidbey, R.N., master …

Watsak Point is the south cape of Penn Cove, on the east shore of Whidbey Island, in Island County. It was named by the Wilkes Expedition, 1841. (Hydrography, Volume XXIII., Atlas, chart 90.) It is sometimes locally known as Snakeland …

Joseph F. Brown was an early settler on the southeast shore of Whidbey Island in Island County. A long low spit named Sandy Point by the United States Exploring Expedition of 1841 was later named for him. It has been …

Useless Bay is on the southwest shore of Whidbey Island om southwest Island County. The name was charted by the Wilkes Expedition of 1841. The bay is so shallow that it is almost dry at low tide, and also offers …

The post office of Useless was at the head of Useless Bay nine miles west of Clinton on Whidbey Island. The post office was established October 17, 1883 and was changed to Island on May 5, 1893. Useless post office …

Taftsonville is an old settlement near San de Fuca on west central Whidbey Island in Island County. It was named for Martin and Christian Taftson or Taftezon who settled in the region in 1851 by the surveyor general of Washington …

Still Park is an area on central Whidbey Island near Prairie Center in Island County. This old place, not shown on recent maps, was named for Judge Lester Still, a landowner who brought the first automobile to Whidbey Island.

St. Louis was a boom town of the early 1890s that existed mostly on paper on the site of Freeland at the south end of Holmes Harbor on Whidbey Island in Island County. The name was chosen by Nathaniel Hilton …

Snatelum Point is the south entrance to Penn Cove on the east shore of Whidbey Island in central Island County. In 1841, this feature was named Watsak Point by Cmdr. Wilkes, but the name did not endure. The present name …

Smith Prairie on Whidbey Island is in the east central part of the island three miles southeast of Coupeville in central Island County. It was named for Joseph S. and Julia Ann Smith, who took a Donation Land Claim of …

1234...10...