The oldest town on Whidbey Island is on south shore of Penn Cove in west central island County. It was founded by Capt. Thomas Coupe and his wife Maria in 1852 who took a Donation Land Claim on the site. In early days the settlement was largely by retired seafaring men. It was named for the founder. The Indian name was P’t-sa-tl-y, meaning Snake Basket.