These two bluffs, one above the other, elevations about 100 ft., are between Mutiny Bay and Useless Bay on the southwest shore of Whidbey Island in south Island County. An immense slide of the glacial clay created them. In 1855, the name was given by George Davidson of U.S. Coast Survey. In 1841, Cmdr. Charles Wilkes had named the bluff Ariels Point, for a vessel in Commodore Oliver H.Perry’s fleet on Lake Erie during the War of 1812. Another name, whose origin is obscure, was Volcano Point.