Fidalgo Island is directly north of Whidbey Island, from Deception Pass on the south to Guemes Channel on the north, and eastward across Similik Bay to Swinomish Channel in southwest Skagit County. In 1791, Lieut. Juan Francisco de Eliza named the island Isla de Fidalgo for Lieut. Salvador Fidalgo of the Spanish Navy. In 1841, Cmdr. Charles Wilkes changed the name to Perry’s Island, for Oliver Hazard Perry, hero of the Battle of Lake Erie in 1813. Capt. Henry Kellett restored the Spanish name on British admiralty charts in 1847 for he preferred to remind the world of the Spanish explorers rather than American naval heroes.