A southwest point of Whidbey Island directly south of Maxwelton near the east entrance to Useless Bay in south Island County is named Indian Point. It was named by Cmdr. Charles Wilkes in 1841. At that time when the south end of Whidbey Island had several Indian villages because of the abundant seafood. A local name for the point is Indian Head.