Kalamut Island, almost an island at high tides, is a peninsula separating Oak Harbor and Crescent Harbor on the east shore of Whidbey Island in Island County. It is now part of the Whidbey Island Naval Air Station. In 1841, it was named by Cmdr. Wilkes, who believed it to be separated from Whidbey Island. The name is a modification of the Indian word Cal-a-met, meaning a stone or rocky ground.