Mutiny Bay is on the southwest shore of Whidbey Island, between Bush Point and Double Bluff, in southern Island County. In 1855, the bay was named by U.S. Coast Survey for a number of British sailors who deserted their ship and stayed to become settlers. Another story recounts a different name source is that of a mutiny by the Indian crew of a trading vessel. They conspired with local Indians to kill the white owner and mate, and to steal the cargo, which consisted largely of whiskey. According to this story, they were successful, ship was ransacked and abandoned.