Penn Cove is on east shore of Whidbey Island, off Saratoga Passage, in west Island County. This commodious harbor was very important in pioneer days, and the home of many retired seafaring men. It was named by Capt. George Vancouver in 1792 in honor of “a particular friend.” The person honored was evidently either John or Richard Penn, both of whom were grandsons of William Penn, founder of Pennsylvania. The harbor was charted by Cmdr. Charles Wilkes in 1841 as Penn’s Cove.