The most westerly point of Whidbey Island on Strait of Juan de Fuca is four miles west of Coupeville in western Island County. In 1790, the point was named Punta de Mendendez by Manuel Quimper, for Salvador Menendez Valdes, a close friend. On June 6, 1792, Capt. George Vancouver charted it under the present name for an English family into which his brother, John, had married. An unofficial local name is Red Bluff.