High cliffs of glacial clay on the south tip of Whidbey Island, west of Possession Point in southern Island County are called Scatchet Head. These cliffs were named Skadg-it Head by Cmdr. Wilkes in 1841 for a local Indian tribe. Early steamship and sailing ship navigators on Puget Sound called them False Skatchet and called Possession Point Scatchet Head. The present name, a modified version of Skagit, has been officially recognized. (USBGN) (Meany, p. 259).