Smith Island is a light house and bird refuge reservation in the east reach of the Strait of Juan de Fuca seven miles west of Whidbey Island in western Island County. It was charted by Cmdr. Wilkes as Blunt’s Island, for one of his midshipmen, Simon F. Blunt in 1841. A Spanish explorer, Lieut. Francisco de Eliza, named the island and nearby Minor Island as Islas de Bonilla in 1791. The present name first appeared on British charts in 1847 and in 1858, on U.S. Coast Survey charts. Records indicate that the name had been used prior to these dates by Hudson’s Bay Company, and was for an employee of the Hudson’s Bay Company. (Meany, p. 277).